In the world of cocktails, Margarita is undoubtedly king. The balance of brightness and bite, the refreshing taste of citrus, and tequila’s subtle smoothness are just an out-of-this-world marriage.
Already craving a Margarita? This spicy version elevates the classic Margarita recipe by bringing in a bit of heat. Jalapeños, habaneros and serranos all work perfectly to bring the spice.
As with most Margarita cocktails, the recipe for Spicy Margarita is relatively easy. All you need is good tequila (100% agave), freshly squeezed lime juice, orange liqueur, chili pepper of choice and agave syrup. Shake everything up in a cocktail shaker with ice, and you’ll have a refreshing drink in no time!
For the spiced Margarita cocktail, you will need:
- Silver tequila
- 1 Fresh jalapeño chili pepper (or any pepper of choice)
- 15ml Orange liqueur
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
How to Make Spicy Margarita
There are certain things you need to bear in mind to make your perfect Spicy Margarita cocktail.
First of all, you need to:
- Make the spicy tequila: Cut the chili pepper in half and put the two halves into the bottle of tequila. Close the lid and let it sit for about 24 hours. You can leave the pepper inside.
- Rim the glass: Run a lime wedge around the edge of the glass and dip it in a plate filled with salt (or chili salt) to coat. Fill with ice and set aside.
- Mix the ingredients: Add the spiced tequila (45ml), lime juice, orange liqueur and agave syrup in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake vigorously. Strain into the prepared glass and enjoy.
Tip: If time is not on your side and you’re craving a spicy cocktail, there is a shortcut. Shake everything together with the jalapeño slices to yield a spicy beverage.
If you’re looking to make a low-calorie version of this sweet and spicy cocktail, the Skinny Spicy Margarita recipe is all you need. The recipe uses fresh orange juice (in place of the calorie-laden triple sec to cut the calories), lime juice, spicy tequila, and agave syrup.
The exact proportions of these four ingredients are up to you, but most recipes call for more lime juice than orange juice, equal parts tequila and lime juice, and two tablespoons agave.
Do you want to taste a premium version of the classic Margarita? Altos Plata tequila is a top choice tequila for margaritas, and we have our own recipe so you can have a proof –the Altos Margarita cocktail. You can even add chili peppers to the mix to make it spicy!
Some Fruity Versions of the Spicy Margarita
If you’re into trying different things, then you will definitely love the following fruity variations of this spicy tequila cocktail:
This Spicy Watermelon Margarita recipe is the perfect summer cocktail.
- 120ml (4 oz) watermelon juice
- 30ml (1 oz) tequila
- 30ml (1 oz) triple sec
- 15ml (½ oz) lime juice
- 2 slices fresh jalapeño or more/less to taste
- Salt and chili for the rim
- Blend a few chunks of watermelon and strain to make watermelon juice
- Rim your glass with the chili salt (see above)
- Shake everything in a cocktail shaker with ice until the outside feels cold
- Serve, add ice if you like and enjoy!
This Spicy Mango Margarita recipe is the right blend of sweet, spicy and boozy.
- 60ml (2 oz) silver tequila
- 30ml (1 oz) triple sec e.g., Cointreau
- 1 lime, juiced
- 120ml (4 oz) fresh mango juice
- Fresh mango, diced large
- 2 small jalapeños
- Lime wheel for garnishing
- Char jalapeños on the grill or over an open flame until blackened
- Set one aside for garnishing and slice the second, removing the stem
- Rim your glass with the Tajín seasoning and set it aside
- Muddle a few slices of the charred jalapeño and a few chunks of fresh mango in a cocktail shaker filled with ice
- Add the tequila, triple sec, lime juice, mango juice and shake vigorously for about 30 seconds
- Pour into the prepared glass filled with ice
- Garnish with a skewer of mango sprinkled with Tajín, charred jalapeño, and lime slice.
Sweet, tangy and spicy with just the ideal intensity of tequila, you will fall in love with this Spicy Pineapple Margarita.
- 45ml tequila
- 90ml pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 jalapeño chile, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon Tajín seasoning
- Lime wedge
- Optional: Jalapeño slices and pineapple wedges
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring pineapple juice, sugar, and jalapeño to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to cook for 3 minutes. Remove the solids from the juice and discard them.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour to chill.
- Add the lime juice and mix well.
- Rim your glass with the Tajín seasoning and fill it with ice.
- Pour the tequila into the glass and top with some of the pineapple mix.
- Pour back and forth between 2 glasses to mix.
- Garnish with jalapeño slices and pineapple wedge, if desired.
Spicy Margarita Special Variations
Our Altos Margarita is an iconic reinterpretation of a classic Margarita that has earned its place in cocktail bars. Requiring three ingredients; Altos Plata, local citrus and honey to taste, the Altos Margarita recipe will quickly become your favorite-go-to Margarita cocktail.
Do you want to make it spicy? No problem! If you are looking for a hot version of our Altos Margarita cocktail you only need to include some chili peppers to the equation, and you will be able to enjoy a smooth but spiced mix.
For years, the 100% agave tequila has been a top choice tequila for margaritas. So, if you’re thinking of having a good premium drink, get a bottle of our Altos Plata tequila and bring your margaritas to the next level.