Delicious, smooth and refreshing, cocktails are always a welcome addition to fun moments. And the best thing? You can enjoy them on a hot afternoon, relaxed evening or when you want to have some fun times with your friends and loved ones.
If you’re looking for a tasty yet easy-to-make cocktail, the Paloma is worth trying out. The cocktail brings together tequila, grapefruit soda and lime juice, resulting in a juicy blend of flavors —so tasty!
Just like the legendary Margarita, the Paloma originally hails from Mexico. This cocktail was prepared for the first time by Javier Delgado, a renowned bartender and the owner of the world famous cocktail bar La Capilla (spanish for the Chapel) in Tequila, Jalisco.
You don’t need any special equipment to prepare this refreshing drink. To make a Paloma, mix all the ingredients in a highball glass or any glass you might have, and the party is on!
To make this delicious tequila drink you will need:
- 2 parts Silver tequila
- 1 part fresh Lime juice
- 2 parts Grapefruit soda
- Optional garnishes: lime wheel, pink grapefruit and salt
What Do You Need to Make a Paloma Drink?
- Tequila: When making the cocktail ensure that you’re using good-quality Blanco (silver) tequila produced from 100% agave.
- Grapefruit soda: In Mexico, Jarritos is the popular grapefruit soda for making the cocktail. Other suitable options you can use include Squirt, Ting and Fresca. These are relatively easy to find, and even if you can’t access one, fresh grapefruit juice* yields a similar cocktail.
- Lime juice: Fresh is always better, so getting a citrus juicer would make your work so much easier if you don’t already own one.
- Salt: Similar to its cousin —the Margarita, some people like enjoying Paloma with a salted rim or adding a pinch of salt to the drink. This step is entirely optional, so feel free to leave it out if you don’t like it. However, if it’s your first time trying a Paloma, the salt addition is worth a trial!
*To achieve the signature bubbling effect, you can complement the fresh juice with unflavoured sparkling water or club soda. You can also opt to add a sweetener like agave to balance the sour/tart profile of the cocktail.
How to Make a Paloma Recipe?
Below an easy Paloma cocktail recipe:
- Frost your glass rim with salt (optional):
1. Pour some salt in a shallow bowl or small plate.
2. Run a lime wedge around the edge of the glass.
3. Gently dip the outside of the rim in the salt to coat.
4. Shake off the excess.
- Mix tequila, lime/lemon juice and sweetener: you can adjust your Paloma alcohol strength by adding a sweetener. If you’re working to reduce your sugar intake instead, you can always leave it.
- Add ice and top with grapefruit juice/soda: a Paloma is always better on the rocks.
- Garnish with lime or grapefruit slice: the cocktail is ready to enjoy!
For a detailed guide on making a Paloma with fresh grape juice and agave syrup, explore our Altos Paloma recipe.
Discover Other Variations for the Traditional Paloma Drink Recipe
There’s a lot of possibilities when it comes to making a good Paloma. If you like, you can try another interesting versions of this popular recipe.
Strawberry Ginger Paloma
You will instantly fall in love with this easy recipe. To make one serving of Strawberry Ginger Paloma, you will need:
- 1 oz (30 mL) Altos silver tequila
- Juice of 1 grapefruit
- 2 tablespoon ginger beer
- 3 sliced strawberries
- Pour the tequila, grapefruit juice and ginger beer into a bowl or container.
- Add the sliced strawberries and wait for 5 minutes before muddling them.
- Pour cocktail into a glass and enjoy, or optionally strain out the muddled strawberries through a fine mesh.
- Garnish with a strawberry or grapefruit slice.
Jolly Merry Holiday
Make your holiday season memorable with a Jolly Merry Holiday cocktail. To make one serving, you’ll need:
- 1 2/3 Parts Olmeca Altos Plata
- 1 Part Grapefruit Juice
- Dry Sparkling wine to top
- Pour the tequila and grapefruit juice in a glass filled with ice.
- Top with dry sparkling wine.
- Garnish with grapefruit juice.
If you’re looking for the best light cocktail recipe for an upcoming event or happy hours all winter, look no further than the Sparkling Paloma. To make 4-6 drinks, you will need:
- ¾ cup silver tequila
- ¾ cup grapefruit juice
- ¾ cup sparkling water
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Fresh thyme (optional)
- Pour the tequila, grapefruit juice, lime, agave and sparkling water and stir to mix.
- Serve into glasses filled with ice.
- Garnish with a grapefruit wedge and fresh thyme (optional).
You can adjust this recipe accordingly for one or more servings.
As you can see, making a Paloma at home is relatively easy. All you need is good quality Blanco (silver) tequila and easy-to-find fresh ingredients.
The Olmeca Altos Plata will work wonders for your Paloma recipe cocktail. Made with 100% hand-picked blue weber agave, you can expect the quality to be top-notch. Plus, it’s pretty affordable!