Cut fresh lime wedges and squeeze them directly into a glass. Crush the fruit in the glass with the tequila and agave syrup. Top with ice and stir. Garnish with chopped lemon and lime.
The Margarita cocktail is widely recognized in the United States and almost all over the world. It has the perfect balance of sweet, spicy and salty, and is simply delicious. For many, it evokes the taste of summer, vacation and fun. The best part? Margarita recipes are quite simple, which minimizes the chances of making mistakes. If you want to enjoy a refreshing Margarita drink, here’s a Margarita recipe you’ll love.
Multiple theories are debated about the origin of the Margarita cocktail, and it remains an enigma how or when it came about. However, there is one prominent narrative. It is related that the Margarita drink evolved from the Daisy, a classic cocktail well known at the time that included tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice and a splash of soda.
How do you make a Margarita? Whether on its own, on the rocks or in a frozen version, the way to enjoy a Margarita drink depends on your preferences and mood. At Olmeca, we teach you how to prepare the best versions of the Margarita cocktail. From the traditional Margarita cocktail recipe with classic Margarita ingredients, such as tequila, orange liqueur and lime juice, to our exclusive version with local honey, discover how to prepare Margaritas that satisfy your palate!
Ingredients to Make the Margarita Cocktail
A cocktail that many people love, and if you are here you are probably wondering how to make it? It’s simple, here is everything you need to know and the basic ingredients for the Margarita:
- Tequila: Is the soul of the margarita, any brand will work, but a quality tequila such as silver tequila or mid or high end reposado tequila can make all the difference.
- Lime: Many margarita recipes call for freshly squeezed lime juice. Always have a few extra limes on hand, useful for both the garnish and the signature rim.
- Orange liqueur or Cointreau: What makes a Margarita refreshing is the harmonious blend of sweet orange and bitter lime. An orange-flavored triple liqueur, such as Cointreau, or a quality cognac, such as Grand Marnier, provide a sweetness that balances the lime juice beautifully. You can also opt for the Mexican liqueur, Controy, for your Margarita.
Tip: You can also consider using agave syrup or another simple syrup of your choice as a sweetener.
For a Margarita glass:
- 60 ml / 2 parts tequila.
- 30 ml / 1 part of your favorite sweetener (such as triple sec, agave syrup or local honey).
- 30 ml / 1 part citrus juice
¡Find out how to make perfect Margaritas by following this recipe!
You can add a special touch with:
Coarse salt to garnish the rim of the glass and give it an extra touch.
A lime wedge for garnish.
For a Margarita Pitcher
If you want to enjoy a refreshing moment in company, visit our Margarita Pitcher Recipe.
Here you hace the ingredients to make this pitcher:
- 2 parts tequila Altos Plata
- 1 part orange liqueur
- 1 part lime juice
How to Make a Margarita Recipe?
The Margarita must be one of the easiest cocktails to make out there. But then, how do you make a Margarita?
If you’ve been looking for an easy Margarita recipe on how to make Margaritas at home, you’re in luck. This detailed recipe guide takes you step-by-step on how to make a Margarita:
- Prepare your glasses (optional): If desired, salt the rim by running a lime wedge around the edge, taking a salt shaker, and twirling it around. This way, you will have just the right amount of salt on the outside.
- Combine the ingredients: Pour the tequila, lime juice and orange liqueur into a cocktail shaker filled with ice cubes. Shake vigorously for about 10-15 seconds until the exterior frosts. Give the mix a taste, and if you’d want it sweeter, feel free to add your preferred sweetener.
- Serve your perfect creation: Strain the mix into the prepared glasses with or without ice. Garnish with a lime wedge and enjoy!
Version of our Margarita Recipe by Olmeca Altos
It’s easy to enjoy our own version of the famous Margarita cocktail. With only three ingredients, you can create a refreshing cocktail full of contrasts that will delight your senses. In this recipe, we combine the smoothness of Altos Plata Tequila with the acidity of fresh lemons and limes, all balanced with the natural sweetness of local honey. Follow these simple steps to prepare this delicious Margarita:
- 2 parts Altos Plata Tequila.
- A handful of lime and lemon (diced).
- 2-3 tablespoons of local honey to taste.
FAQs about the Margarita
What is the history of the Margarita?
The iconic Margarita cocktail has been enjoyed since the early 20th century, although the history of the Margarita and its place of invention remain controversial. One widely accepted theory holds that the drink has its roots in Jalisco, Mexico, with its invention attributed to Carlos “Danny” Herrera.
How many calories are in a Margarita?
A Margarita is a delicious drink, but like any coin there is always a double side, if you are wondering how many calories are in a Margarita, it is important to keep in mind that alcohol is a carbohydrate with a high caloric content, with 7 calories per gram. When mixed with Margarita ingredients, such as triple sec and lime juice, a typical Margarita cocktail (approximately 77 grams) can contain around 200 calories.
What fruity versions of the Margarita are there?
There are several fruity versions of the Margarita that add fruity flavors and aromas to this drink. Some of the most popular margarita variants are Blood Orange Margarita, Pomegranate Margarita or Strawberry Margarita.
Is there a low-calorie version of the Margarita?
Of course, Olmeca Altos recommends you try the Skinny Margarita, a smart option for those who want to reduce calorie intake without sacrificing taste.
What do you Need for the Margarita Recipe?
What Foods to Combine the Margarita with?
The Margarita cocktail recipe is simple but effective, with basic ingredients including tequila, triple sec and fresh lime juice. But have you ever wondered what to pair the Margarita with? From delicious appetizers such as shredded chicken and cheese flautas to fresh seafood dishes such as the excellent Baja Style Fish Tacos, we’ll give you suggestions that will make your Margarita cocktail the perfect companion for any occasion. If you are a meat lover, the Carnitas Recipe: Pulled Pork and Tacos are excellent options to accompany your Margarita. On the other hand, if you prefer something lighter and fresher, seafood is a great choice. A shrimp ceviche, fish tacos or even fresh oysters are ideal companions for a Margarita. The acidity of the lime juice in the Margarita enhances the marine flavors and creates a refreshing harmony.