Prepare your glasses: Fill a shallow bowl with salt. Take a fresh lime wedge and gently slide it around the rim. Tilt the glass and dip just the outside as you rotate it. Shake off any excess salt. Combine all your ingredients in a cocktail shaker: Pour the tequila, fresh lime juice and liqueur in a cocktail shaker and fill with ice. Shake thoroughly for about 15 seconds. Taste and sweeten with the syrup to your preferred taste. Strain and serve: Enjoy your classic margarita frozen, on the rocks or straight. Don’t forget the garnish for a stunning look!
When it comes to great cocktails, margaritas tops the list —and for a good reason. They are crisp, cool, tart and refreshing, perfect for hot days (or nights). You can call the drink the summer workhorse.
Making a margarita at home is pretty easy. All you need is a few ingredients, and the table is on! Tequila, orange liqueur and fresh lime juice. Hitting four of the five tastes the human taste bud can identify, this cocktail is more than your typical drink.
The bitterness of the tequila, the tangy of the lime, the sweetness of the liqueur, plus the salty make quite the mix.
The main Margarita ingredients include:
- 2 ounces Tequila
- 1 ounce Fresh lime juice
- 1 ounce Orange liqueur
- Coarse salt
- Agave or sweetener of choice
- Lime wedges
Make the Classic Margarita: What Do You Need?
- Tequila: This is the foundation of your margarita, so it’s best to stay away from low-quality tequilas. Try to ensure you’re using one made from 100% Agave.
- Fresh lime juice (always fresh!): Lime juice is an essential component to making a perfect margarita. If you can’t get fresh lime juice by any chance, please taste the pre-made juice and ensure that it’s pleasant before mixing it with your other ingredients.
- Orange liqueur: Cointreau is quite popular, but you can use any good-quality orange liqueur you can find.
If you like your margarita sweet, feel free to add agave syrup or any sweetener of your choice. Also, remember to save some lime wedges for the garnish.
How to Make the Authentic Classic Margarita Recipe
If you’ve been yearning to make this delicious cocktail, here is a recipe on how to make margaritas at home:
- Prepare your glasses: Fill a shallow bowl with salt. Take a fresh lime wedge and gently slide it around the rim. Tilt the glass and dip just the outside as you rotate it. Shake off any excess salt
- Combine all your ingredients in a cocktail shaker: Pour the tequila, fresh lime juice and liqueur in a cocktail shaker and fill with ice. Shake thoroughly for about 15 seconds. Taste and sweeten with the syrup to your preferred taste.
- Strain and serve: Enjoy your classic margarita frozen, on the rocks or straight. Don’t forget the garnish for a stunning look!
Tip: Don’t worry if you don’t like the salt. A margarita drink without salt is perfectly okay too.
Our Own Altos Margarita Recipe
The Altos Margarita is perhaps the best recipe for Margaritas. It calls for three ingredients: Olmeca Altos Plata tequila, honey and citrus. Each of our bottles is made from 100% blue agave grown in Los Altos. So, expect some exciting flavors and a smooth finish here.
The lemon and lime add to the tart/sour of the cocktail, while honey adds to the sweetness. The result? A crisp and tasty Margarita worth pouring for life’s happiest moments.
To make the best, you will need:
- 2 parts tequila Olmeca
- A handful of diced citrus (lime and lemon)
- 2-3 bar spoons of honey
Mix all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake vigorously for 15-20 seconds. Serve and garnish with the lemon and lime used for the shake.
Unlike the other Margarita recipes where you have to strain or even double strain, all you have to do with the Altos Margarita is shake then serve.
Easy Video of the Altos Margarita Recipe
Margarita’s Heavily Contested Origin
If all the above information hasn’t persuaded you to grab a Margarita, this story probably will. As the legend goes, the drink came into existence thanks to a beautiful girl.
Carlos, a Mexican restaurant owner, was going about his business when a gorgeous girl, Marjorie King, came his way. Upon realizing King couldn’t take any other form of alcohol except tequila, he quickly made her a sweet cocktail by mixing tequila, salt and lime.
Of course, not everybody agrees with this story. Some will tell how the drink evolved from a tequila cocktail named ‘Daisy’ with an almost identical recipe. Margarita means Daisy in Spanish, by the way.
Regardless of what story you find credible, it’s clear that the cocktail has won the hearts of many. The cocktail accounts for 25% of all cocktails sold in the world. Safe to crown the margarita, ‘the world’s most iconic and beloved cocktail.’
There is even a national margarita day —February 22!
A Premium Tequila for your Margarita
The type of tequila you use can make or break your cocktail. So, ensure that you are using the best bottle you can find. A high-quality tequila will have 100% de agave or puro de agave on the bottle’s label.
Olmeca Altos is a premium and super affordable tequila, which a growing number of bartenders swear by. Having won at the most prestigious contests worldwide, it’s no surprise that it ranks as the best tequila for Margaritas. In case you were wondering, yes! It’s made from 100% Blue Agave.