Cut fresh lime wedges and squeeze them directly into a glass. Crush the fruit in the glass with the tequila and agave syrup. Top with ice and stir. Garnish with chopped lemon and lime.
If you’re looking for a way to unwind after a long day at work, look no further than this delicious margarita recipe. It’s made with only top shelf ingredients, so you know it’s going to be good! The best part? You can make it yourself at home in just minutes.
Multiple theories of the cocktail’s invention exist, and how or when the cocktail came to existence remains a mystery. One story, however, stands out. It tells of how the drink evolved from The Daisy, a classic cocktail famous at the time that called for tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice and a splash of soda. After all, Margarita translates ‘daisy’ in Spanish, which adds some credibility to the story.
How to drink a Top Shelf Margarita? Straight up, on the rocks or frozen, how you choose to enjoy the drink will depend on your preference and mood.
Ingredients to Make the Top Shelf Margarita Recipe
The secret to this iconic drink lies in its simplicity. To make the Altos Margarita recipe, all you need is three simple ingredients:
- 60 ml / 2 parts Altos Plata
- 30 ml / 1 part Sweetener*
- 30 ml / 1 part Citrus Juice
* You may use triple sec, agave syrup, local honey or your favorite sweetener
Feel free to add:
- Coarse salt to garnish the rim of the glass for that extra punch
- Lime wedge for garnish
The Best Margarita Recipe Needs High Quality Ingredients
The best tip on how to make Margaritas at home is to use the very best quality ingredients you can find:
- Tequila: A top shelf margarita mix is typically made with high-quality ingredients, including a premium tequila. Not all tequilas are created equal, and using a low-quality tequila in a margarita can negatively affect the overall taste and quality of the drink. Premium tequilas are typically made from 100% blue agave and are aged for longer periods of time, which gives them a smoother, more refined taste. These tequilas are better suited for use in cocktails like this, as they provide a more complex and nuanced flavor that can enhance the overall taste of the drink.
- Lime: The secret to making a tasty cocktail is using the best ingredients. So, you can understand why most Margarita recipes call for freshly squeezed lime juice. Remember to keep some extra limes on hand. These will come in handy either as a garnish or when making the classic rim.
- Orange liqueur (like Grand Marnier): In addition to being made with premium tequila, a top shelf margarita can also be made with Grand Marnier. This orange-flavored liqueur adds a unique and sophisticated flavor to the cocktail, and can be used in place of or in addition to the traditional triple sec or Cointreau. The specific method for making a margarita with Grand Marnier will vary depending on personal preference, but the general idea is to combine the liqueur with tequila, lime juice, and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker, and then strain the mixture into a margarita glass rimmed with salt.
- Agave Syrup: our recommendation is to use agave syrup to sweeten the drink and balance the flavors.
How to Make a Margarita Recipe?
The Margarita must be one of the easiest cocktails to make out there. But then, how do you make a Margarita?
If you’ve been looking for an easy Margarita recipe on how to make Margaritas at home, you’re in luck. This detailed recipe guide takes you step-by-step on how to make a Margarita:
- Prepare your glasses (optional): If desired, salt the rim by running a lime wedge around the edge, taking a salt shaker, and twirling it around. This way, you will have just the right amount of salt on the outside.
- Combine the ingredients: Pour the tequila, lime juice and orange liqueur into a cocktail shaker filled with ice cubes. Shake vigorously for about 10-15 seconds until the exterior frosts. Give the mix a taste, and if you’d want it sweeter, feel free to add your preferred sweetener.
- Serve your perfect creation: Strain the mix into the prepared glasses with or without ice. Garnish with a lime wedge and enjoy!
The Altos Margarita Mix, Our Own Recipe
As you might already know, every great Margarita starts with good-quality tequila, this is the key of a true top shelf margarita. Most bartenders and tequila enthusiasts recommend using tequila made from 100% agave as it will guarantee you a better cocktail with a more complex flavor and significantly less burn. And that’s exactly what we have done!
It’s quite easy to enjoy our own cocktail version of the famous Margarita Recipe. With only 3 ingredients, you will have a refreshing cocktail full of contrasts:
- 2 Parts Tequila Altos Plata
- A handful of lemon and lime (diced)
- 2-3 spoons of local honey to taste
Pour the Tequila, citrus and honey, then shake vigorously with ice to blend and chill the drink. Serve on the rocks, garnish and indulge! The garnish is the chopped/juiced lemon and lime you used for the shake. Pretty easy, right?
*Shaking is crucial as it introduces tiny air bubbles that makes this the best top shelf margarita possible.
On the other hand, if you’re interested in knowing the history of the Margarita, we’ll explain to you where it originated, who created it, and why it’s called Margarita here.
Easy Video of the Altos Margarita Recipe
A High-Quality Tequila for your Margarita: Make a Top Shelf Margarita
The type of tequila you use can make or break your top shelf margarita recipe. So, ensure that you are using the best bottle you can find. A high-quality tequila will have 100% de agave or puro de agave on the bottle’s label.
Olmeca Altos is a premium-quality and super affordable tequila, which a growing number of bartenders swear by. Having won at the most prestigious contests worldwide, it’s no surprise that it ranks as the best tequila for Margaritas. In case you were wondering, yes! It’s made from 100% Blue Agave.