When it comes to great cocktails, margaritas top the list —and for a good reason. They are crisp, cool, tart and refreshing, perfect for hot days (or nights). You can call the drink the summer workhorse.
Making a margarita at home is pretty easy. All you need is a few ingredients, and the party is on! Tequila, orange liqueur and fresh lime juice. Hitting four of the five tastes the human taste bud can identify, this cocktail is more than your typical drink.
The bitterness of the tequila, the tangy of the lime, the sweetness of the liqueur, plus the salty make quite the mix.
Margarita’s heavily contested origin
If all the above information hasn’t persuaded you to grab a margarita, this story probably will. As the legend goes, the drink came into existence thanks to a beautiful girl.
Carlos, a mexican restaurant owner, was going about his business when a gorgeous girl, Marjorie King, came his way. Upon realizing King couldn’t take any other form of alcohol except tequila, he quickly made her a sweet cocktail by mixing tequila, salt and lime.
Of course, not everybody agrees with this story. Some will tell how the drink evolved from a tequila cocktail named Daisy with an almost identical recipe. Margarita means Daisy in Spanish, by the way.
Regardless of what story you find credible, it’s clear that the cocktail has won the hearts of many. The cocktail accounts for 25% of all cocktails sold in the world. Safe to crown the margarita, ‘the world’s most iconic and beloved cocktail'.
There is even a national margarita day —February 22!
Ingredients for a Margarita
The main margarita ingredients include:
- Fresh lime juice
- Orange liqueur-triple sec, Cointreau or Grand-Marnier
- Coarse salt
- Agave or sweetener of choice
- Lime wedges
What do you need to make the classic Margarita?
- Tequila: This is the foundation of your margarita, so it’s best to stay away from low-quality tequilas. Try to ensure you’re using one made from 100% agave.
- Fresh lime juice (always fresh!): Lime juice is an essential component to making a perfect margarita. If you can’t get fresh lime juice by any chance, please taste the pre-made juice and ensure that it’s pleasant before mixing it with your other ingredients.
- Orange liqueur: Cointreau is quite popular, but you can use any good-quality orange liqueur you can find.
If you like your margarita sweet, feel free to add agave syrup or any sweetener of your choice. Also, remember to save some lime wedges for the garnish.
How to make the authentic Margarita
If you’ve been yearning to make this delicious cocktail, here is a recipe on how to make margaritas at home.
Margarita recipe: How do you make a margarita?
- Prepare your glasses: Let’s talk about salt. Why are margaritas served with salt? The salt is mainly there to suppress the bitterness and enhance the sweetness and sourness of the drink. To rim your glass:
- Fill a shallow bowl with salt*.
- Take a fresh lime wedge and gently slide it around the rim.
- Tilt the glass and dip just the outside as you rotate it.
- Shake off any excess salt.
*Don’t worry if you don’t like the salt. A margarita drink without salt is perfectly okay too.
- Combine all your ingredients in a cocktail shaker: Follow these three simple steps and you are almost there.
- Pour the tequila, fresh lime juice and liqueur in a cocktail shaker and fill with ice.
- Shake thoroughly for about 15 seconds.
- Taste and sweeten with the syrup to your preferred taste.
- Strain and serve: Enjoy your classic margarita frozen, on the rocks or straight. Don’t forget the garnish for a stunning look!
Would you like to bring margaritas to the next level? Our own version of this mexican drink uses tequila made from 100% agave, so you can expect the cocktail to be a masterpiece. Try this Altos margarita recipe and taste the classic brand.
The best variations for the original Margarita recipe
When it comes to margaritas, the possibilities are endless. Here are the very best recipes you can try at home.
Spicy Watermelon Margarita
Step up your margarita game with the Spicy Watermelon cocktail. It uses top-shelf tequila, lime juice, watermelon and jalapeno. Simply mix the ingredients in a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
If you’re feeling a bit extra, feel free to serve the spicy drink in a hollowed-out watermelon over ice, garnished with lemon wheels and jalapeno slices (optional).
Jasmin Tea Margarita
Crisp and refreshing, the Jasmin Tea Margarita is a tasty spin on the classic. Tequila, lime juice, agave syrup and pre-prepared Jasmin tea are all the ingredients you will need to make this flavorful margarita. Serve over ice and garnish with a lime twist and fresh jasmine flower (optional).
Mango Cilantro Habanero Margarita
Do you love spicy? The Mango Cilantro Habanero Margarita is sweet, tart and tropical with a spicy kick. To make your perfect cocktail, combine habanero, mango, lime, tequila, triple sec and cilantro syrup in a cocktail shaker and shake until well-mixed. Pour, garnish and enjoy!
Tequila forms the bulk share of a margarita’s recipe, so it is important that you’re using only the best. Any high-quality tequila will have a rich agave core. Check the bottle’s label for the 100% agave or puro de agave mark.
Spicy and herbaceous with a long-lasting finish, Olmeca Altos tequila ensures that the spirit leads the charge in the cocktail. Made from 100% agave, it goes without saying that Altos makes an incredible Margarita.