Margaritas are undoubtedly one of the most loved cocktails in the world. But they also come with a load of carbs and calories, which might be a big turn-off for anyone watching their calorie intake. However, it doesn’t always have to be this way.
The Skinny Margarita recipe offers a low-calorie drink for Margarita lovers by replacing the calorie-laden triple sec in the Classic Margarita with agave nectar –a sweetener made from the same stuff as the tequila. The result? A light, refreshing cocktail that will leave your guests craving for more.
All you need to make the Skinny Margarita mix is agave syrup, tequila, lime juice, orange juice, and a little motivation!
Ingredients in Skinny Margarita Recipe
You know it’s an easy recipe when you can count all the ingredients with one hand!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this incredibly light and refreshing drink:
- 1 ½ ounces Silver (Blanco) tequila (about 3 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (about 1 large lime)
- 1 ½ tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar (add 2 if you like your Margarita on the sweeter side)
- Salt and lime wedges for the rim and garnish
How to Make a Skinny Margarita Mix
It only takes 5 minutes to prepare a glass of this super delicious refreshment. Shake everything up, and the cocktail is ready!
To prepare your glass, you need to:
- Pour some salt on a small plate.
- Wet the edge of the glass using a lime wedge, water or lime juice.
- Dip the glass in the salt and tilt to coat.
- Shake off any excess.
For a drink or two:
- Pour all the ingredients (except for the salt and lime wedges) into a cocktail shaker.
- Fill with ice and gently shake for about 30 seconds or until the outside feels cold.
- Strain into rimmed glass, garnish and enjoy immediately.
To share this delight with friends and loved ones (pitcher style):
- Stir together the tequila, lime juice, orange juice and agave (do not add the ice).
- Serve immediately over ice or place a sheet of plastic wrap over the top and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
4 Tips to Make the Best Skinny Margarita Cocktail
Here are some top tips on how to make a Skinny Margarita:
- Use fresh ingredients: When it comes to a Margarita, fresh is always the best. Lime juice loses its flavor after a while so, don’t make it too far in advance.
- Use good quality tequila: Always use 100% agave tequila when making margaritas.
- Adjust the taste to your liking: Adjust the amount of tequila and sweetener to suit your taste.
- Salt the rim: The salt mellows all the different flavors, ensuring a smooth drinking experience.
Can I Make Margaritas in Advance?
Of course! You can make these margaritas about 4 hours ahead of time. Just ensure everything is kept covered in the fridge until it’s time to serve.
Top tip: Don’t add the ice until just before serving.
How Many Calories Are There in a Skinny Margarita?
While a regular margarita packs around 200-250 calories per serving, a Skinny Margarita has about 130-180, saving you a whole lot of calories! You can also use a natural sugar-free sweetener to lower the calories even more.
Skinny margaritas are additionally low in carbs, making them the perfect keto drinks.
Variations of the Skinny Margarita Recipe
Here you have some exciting variations worth trying once you’ve mastered the basic Skinny Margarita recipe:
Skinny Spicy Margarita
Jalapeños always come in handy when you need to add a bit of heat to your cocktail.
- 2 ounces (¼ cup) Tequila Blanco
- ½ ounce (1 tablespoon) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 ½ ounce (3 tablespoons) freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup
- 3-4 jalapeño slices – deseeded, cut into thin slices
- ⅔ cup crushed ice
- Sea salt plus extra jalapeño and lime slices for garnishing
- Rim your glasses as outlined above.
- Add the jalapeño slices and 1/3 cup crushed ice into a cocktail shaker.
- Muddle up with a wooden spoon to release the spiciness from jalapeños.
- Add the tequila, lime juice, orange juice and agave syrup.
- Shake vigorously for 30-60 seconds-long but worth it!
- Strain and serve over ice.
- Garnish with a lime wedge and jalapeño slices.
- Enjoy immediately!
Skinny Blackberry Margarita
Perfectly juicy and super low in calories, blackberries add a fun twist to the Classic Skinny recipe.
- 6 oz fresh blackberries
- ½ cup tequila
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup or simple syrup*
- 3 tablespoons of sugar for the rim and lime wheels for garnishing
- To make the simple syrup, combine water and sugar (2:1) in a saucepan and bring. the mix to a boil. Once all the sugar has dissolved, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Combine the tequila, blackberries, sweetener, lime juice and orange juice in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Strain and let the blend sit in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Rim the glass with sugar.
- Serve over ice and garnish with lime wedge and blackberries, if desired.
Improve the Skinny Margarita with a Premium Quality Tequila
All great margaritas have one thing in common –they start with a top-quality tequila. Think of tequila as the foundation to your drink –the higher you set the bar, the better your Margarita will be.
Made with 100% blue weber agave grown in the Altos highlands of Jalisco, Mexico, our Altos Blanco tequila is ideal for making a Skinny Margarita mix. Even the best bartenders swear by Altos Tequila!