To prepare your glass, you need to: Pour some salt on a small plate. Wet the edge of the glass using a lime wedge, water or lime juice. Dip the glass in the salt and tilt to coat. Shake off any excess.
Margaritas are undoubtedly one of the most loved cocktails in the world. But they also come with a load of carbs and calories, which might be a big turn-off for anyone watching their calorie intake. However, it doesn’t always have to be this way.
If you’re looking for a refreshing drink to mix up your cocktail routine, look no further than our Skinny Margarita recipe.
Why drink a skinny margarita? Well, who doesn’t love the taste of a classic margarita? It’s tart, sweet, and teeming with salt—the perfect combination! But what if we told you that you could get all the great flavors of a margarita without all the calories?
That’s where our Skinny Margarita Cocktail comes in. This cocktail is guaranteed to be crowd-pleaser at any party thanks to its refreshing taste and low calorie count (just 100 calories per glass!). So whether you’re hosting your next get-together or just want to treat yourself while watching TV on the couch, this tasty cocktail will be sure to hit the spot!
The Skinny Margarita recipe offers a low-calorie drink for Margarita lovers by replacing the calorie-laden triple sec in the Classic Margarita with agave nectar –a sweetener made from the same stuff as the tequila. The result? A light, refreshing cocktail that will leave your guests craving for more.
All you need to prepare the Skinny Margarita mix is agave syrup, lime juice, tequila, orange juice, and a little motivation!
Ingredients in Skinny Margarita Recipe
You know it’s an easy recipe when you can count all the ingredients with one hand!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this incredibly light and refreshing drink:
- 1 ½ ounces Silver (Blanco) tequila (about 3 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (about 1 large lime)
- 1 ½ tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar (add 2 if you like your Margarita on the sweeter side)
- Salt and lime wedges for the rim and garnish
How to Make a Skinny Margarita Mix
It only takes 5 minutes to prepare a glass of this super delicious refreshment. Shake everything up, and the cocktail is ready!
To prepare your glass, you need to:
- Pour some salt on a small plate.
- Wet the edge of the glass using a lime wedge, water or lime juice.
- Dip the glass in the salt and tilt to coat.
- Shake off any excess.
For a drink or two:
- Pour all the ingredients (except for the salt and lime wedges) into a cocktail shaker.
- Fill with ice and gently shake for about 30 seconds or until the outside feels cold.
- Strain into rimmed glass, garnish and enjoy immediately.
To share this delight with friends and loved ones (pitcher style):
- Stir together the tequila, lime juice, orange juice and agave (do not add the ice).
- Serve immediately over ice or place a sheet of plastic wrap over the top and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
4 Tips to Make the Best Skinny Margarita Cocktail
If you want to go further and make the best skinny margarita recipe, here are a few more tips to keep in mind.
- Use fresh lime juice instead of bottled lime juice. Using fresh lime juice will give your skinny margarita a much fresher taste than using bottled lime juice will.
- Make sure that the tequila you use isn’t too strong or too watered down. If the tequila isn’t strong enough, it won’t taste good in the final product. The same goes for if it’s too watered down—you don’t want it to be too weak or bland tasting!
- Use fresh fruit for garnish instead of using dried fruit pieces like cucumber or orange slices (unless those are what you love most about margaritas). This helps keep your cocktail from becoming too sweet from all of the sugar content in dried fruit pieces and also adds more variety when it comes down to how many different types of fruits you can use depending on what kind of flavor profile you’re looking for out of your cocktail experience!
- Choose 100% agave tequila. This will give your drink a more authentic flavor than cheaper brands that have been heavily diluted with water or high fructose corn syrup.
Can I Make Margaritas in Advance?
This is a great question!
You can absolutely make your Skinny Margarita Recipe in advance, but there are a few things you should know.
First, it’s important to note that while you CAN make margaritas in advance, they won’t be as good as if you had made them right before serving them. That’s because the flavors need time to blend and meld together. You can definitely make them ahead of time, but if you’re looking for the best possible taste, we recommend making them right before serving.
If you still want to go ahead and plan ahead, here are some tips:
Make sure your ingredients are fresh—nothing else will matter if the lime juice has gone bad or the tequila has oxidized. Try making small batches (like one pitcher) at a time so that they can all be consumed within 24 hours after being mixed together. Store the margarita mix in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to serve.
However, if you’re planning on making a batch of margaritas and aging them for more than two days (for example, for a Cinco de Mayo party), then the answer is no. The tequila won’t be as fresh once it has been aged for longer than two days.
Top tip: Don’t add the ice until just before serving.
Why is this a Low-Calorie Margarita?
Skip the sugar and still enjoy this delicious beverage with our low-calorie margarita. We’ve replaced the traditional triple sec and sugar with just tequila and lime juice—and it’s just as tasty!
The low-calorie margarita is called the skinny margarita because it’s a skinny version of the classic tequila cocktail. It’s not just low-calorie, though—it’s also low in calories, carbs, and fat.
The ingredients in a regular margarita are all very high in calories. This can be a concern for anyone who is watching their weight or just looking to have a drink that isn’t too high in calories but still tastes great.
How Many Calories Are There in a Skinny Margarita?
While a regular margarita packs around 200-250 calories per serving, a Skinny Margarita has about 130-180, saving you a whole lot of calories! You can also use a natural sugar-free sweetener to lower the calories even more.
Skinny margaritas are additionally low in carbs, making them the perfect keto drinks.
Variations of the Skinny Margarita Recipe
Here you have some exciting variations worth trying once you’ve mastered the basic Skinny Margarita recipe, enjoy of this amazing cocktail recipes:
Skinny Spicy Margarita
Jalapeños always come in handy when you need to add a bit of heat to your cocktail.
- 2 ounces (¼ cup) Tequila Blanco
- ½ ounce (1 tablespoon) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 ½ ounce (3 tablespoons) freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup
- 3-4 jalapeño slices – deseeded, cut into thin slices
- ⅔ cup crushed ice
- Sea salt plus extra jalapeño and lime slices for garnishing
- Rim your glasses as outlined above.
- Add the jalapeño slices and 1/3 cup crushed ice into a cocktail shaker.
- Muddle up with a wooden spoon to release the spiciness from jalapeños.
- Add the tequila, lime juice, orange juice and agave syrup.
- Shake vigorously for 30-60 seconds-long but worth it!
- Strain and serve over ice.
- Garnish with a lime wedge and jalapeño slices.
- Enjoy immediately!
Skinny Blackberry Margarita
Perfectly juicy and super low in calories, blackberries add a fun twist to the Classic Skinny recipe.
- 6 oz fresh blackberries
- ½ cup tequila
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup or simple syrup*
- 3 tablespoons of sugar for the rim and lime wheels for garnishing
- To make the simple syrup, combine water and sugar (2:1) in a saucepan and bring. the mix to a boil. Once all the sugar has dissolved, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Combine the tequila, blackberries, sweetener, lime juice and orange juice in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Strain and let the blend sit in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Rim the glass with sugar.
- Serve over ice and garnish with lime wedge and blackberries, if desired.
How to Prepare a Frozen Skinny Margarita?
The best way to make a Frozen Skinny Margarita Recipe is by using a blender. It’s fast, easy, and delicious. Another variation of this low-calorie drink:
First, pour the tequila into the blender. You can use as much as you want depending on how strong you want your drink to be. The more tequila you add, the stronger it will be!
Next, add ice cubes to the blender. There should be enough room for all of the ice cubes to have some space around them so that they don’t melt too quickly and make your drink too watery. If you need more ice cubes, it’s okay because frozen margaritas taste better than regular ones anyways!
Next comes lime juice and triple sec (or Cointreau). You can add as much or as little of these ingredients as you want depending on how sweet/sour you’d like your cocktail to be! Just remember that if you add too much triple sec (or Cointreau), then it will become bitter instead of sweet which isn’t very pleasant at all!
When everything has been added, blend until smooth and enjoy!
Others Cocktails that Might Interest You
Have you tried our Prickly Pear Margarita? It’s a beautiful, vibrant drink that is great for any occasion.
The prickly pear is a cactus native to the southern United States and Mexico. It has been used by Native Americans for centuries as both food and medicine. The fruit of the cactus is covered with tiny spines that make it difficult to pick without gloves, but once you get past those spines, you’ll be rewarded with a sweet, juicy treat.
This cocktail combines this delicious fruit with tequila and lime juice to give you a drink that’s tart yet sweet—and refreshing as can be!
Improve the Skinny Margarita Recipes With a Premium Quality Tequila
All great margaritas have one thing in common –they start with a top-quality tequila. Think of tequila as the foundation to your drink –the higher you set the bar, the better your Margarita will be.
Made with 100% blue weber agave grown in the Altos highlands of Jalisco, Mexico, our Altos Blanco tequila is ideal for making a Skinny Margarita Recipe. Even the best bartenders swear by Altos Tequila!