One of the best ways to enjoy tequila is through a Margarita. Crisp, delicious and oh so pretty, margaritas are perfect for hot afternoons, outdoor meetings and any other time you need the energy flowing.
Of the many Margarita variations, Tommy’s Margarita stands out. Instead of using triple sec to sweeten the cocktail, the cocktail calls for agave syrup, a sweetener made from the same agave as tequila. The result is a light, citrusy and refreshing drink with just the right dose of boozy.
This very Tommy’s recipe inspires our Altos Margarita. The recipe earns its place in cocktail bars as the Iconic reinterpretation of a Classic Margarita. It calls for just three ingredients: Altos Plata, citrus and honey. The unaged Plata adds a nice kick of roasted agave, while the citrus brings a nice tang to the sweet mix. It’s a beautiful marriage made in heaven!
Tommy’s Margarita Ingredients
Three simple ingredients, and the table is set. Let’s get started already!
What you’ll need to host a Margarita party:
- 50ml Tequila Blanco, 100% agave
- 25ml Lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 15ml Agave syrup (you can always adjust to your taste)
- Salt rim (optional)
- Lime wheel to garnish
How to Make the Classic Tommy’s Margarita Recipe
Like with most Margarita recipes, the Tommy tequila Margarita is effortless and fun to make. Shake everything up, serve and indulge.
- Chill your glass in the freezer or fill it with ice
- Add tequila, agave syrup and lime juice to your cocktail shaker
- Fill with ice and shake for 10-15 seconds or until the outside of your shaker feels cold
- Run a lime wedge on the rim of your chilled glass, then dip it in the salt to coat
- Wipe any excess with a napkin (we don’t want any salt in our cocktail)
- Strain your cocktail into the prepared glass and fill it with ice
- Garnish with a lime wedge and enjoy.
Discover our Altos Tommy’s Margarita Recipe and bring a ginger twist on the original recipe.
Other Versions of this Tequila Drink
The beauty of margaritas is that you can practically add any ingredient of your liking. Want things a bit spicy? Add a few jalapenos. Love strawberries? Muddle some fresh strawberries and enjoy a fruity blend.
Here are recipe variations you’ll love (feel free to tweak as you like):
Spicy Tommy’s Margarita
Spicy and sweet is summer’s go-to combination. Here’s what you will need for the Spicy Margarita Tommy:
- 75ml Tequila Blanco
- 35ml agave syrup
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 tbsp tajín * (adds just the right touch of zing)
- Ice and lime wedges to serve
- Add the tequila, agave and lime juice into a cocktail shaker
- Fill with ice and shake well to mix and chill
- Wet the rim of the glass using a lime wedge or water
- Pour the tajín onto a small plate and dip the glass to get a good spicy rim
- Strain the cocktail into the prepared glasses, add ice cubes and lime wedges
*To make your homemade tajín, you just need to mix 1 tablespoon chili powder with 1 teaspoon dried lime zest and ¼ teaspoon salt. Use it in your spicy Tommy’s Margarita in the place of tajín seasoning.
Our Altos Tommy’s Margarita Cocktail Variation
Our Altos Ginger Margarita is a classic spin on Tommys Marg recipe. The recipe is equally easy to make at home, requiring Altos Plata, lemon juice, ginger syrup, and agave. The Ginger’s slightly spicy and sweet taste mellows with the citrusy of the lime and bite of the 100% blue agave tequila to give rise to a flavorsome and refreshing delight. This cocktail is perfect for spicing things up during fall or warming up during winter.
What’s the difference between Tommy’s Margarita and Skinny Margarita?
These two are very similar as they both don’t use the calorie-laden triple sec. The only difference is that a Skinny Margarita calls for the addition of fresh orange juice and agave syrup, while Tommys Marg only uses the agave sweetener.
Tommy’s Margarita History
Who is Tommy, and what makes this cocktail so unique? Well, Tommy isn’t a person but a Mexican restaurant in Francisco, for starters. The person who invented the cocktail is Julio Bermejo –a true legend in the tequila world.
By replacing the triple sec of a Classic Margarita with agave nectar, he came up with a crisp and refreshing cocktail that has won the hearts of many. Julio then named this cocktail after his family’s Mexican restaurant, the current Mecca of bartenders worldwide. Margarita lovers, here’s one to add to your bucket list!
The quality of your cocktail will depend on the tequila you use. Ensure you’re using a top-quality bottle made from 100% agave. Altos Tequila Plata is a premium 100% agave tequila adored for its natural smoothness and pleasant aftertaste. The unaged tequila has won many awards and voted as a top choice for margaritas by bartenders around the globe.