A refreshing and creamy spin on the Classic Margarita, this is one recipe that you didn’t know you needed! It’s a tropical mix of tequila, orange liqueur, fresh lime juice, cream of coconut and toasted coconut flakes.
This easy Coconut Margarita recipe is quick and easy to craft. Use sweetened cream of coconut instead of regular coconut cream or coconut milk. Big difference in both taste and texture!
Take a moment to unwind with this coconut tequila cocktail in hand, and every day will feel like summer.
Take your cocktail to the tropics with this easy Coconut Margarita.
Here’s all Coconut Margarita ingredients you’ll need:
- 2 ounces Blanco tequila
- ½ ounce triple sec (Cointreau or Grand Marnier)
- ½ ounce fresh lime juice
- 1 ounce cream of coconut (not coconut cream)
- Ice, for serving
- Optional: Sweetened shredded coconut (like the stuff in the baking aisle)
How to Make a Coconut Margarita
Making this Coconut Margarita is a breeze. Simply shake the ingredients in a shaker and serve. Toasting the shredded coconut will take a few minutes of your time, but the effort will be well worth it!
Follow these steps and learn how to make a Coconut Margarita on the rocks:
- Rim the glasses: On a separate dish, place a small amount of extra coconut cream and dip the rim of the glass into it. Then dip the rim into the plate of toasted coconut.
- Shake the ingredients: In a cocktail shaker with ice, combine the tequila, triple sec, lime juice, and cream of coconut. Shake well for around 30 seconds to thoroughly mix and chill the cocktail.
- Having a party? Make the best Coconut Margarita pitcher: In a large pitcher, combine 2 cups tequila, ½ cup triple sec, ½ cup lime juice, and 1 cup lime juice and 1 cup cream of coconut. Stir the drink until creamy and serve this Coconut Margarita on the rocks.
Rimming Your Cocktail Margarita Glass
Rimming a glass is a beautiful way to elegantly garnish your cocktail tequila drinks while also adding an extra depth of flavor.
Here’s a quick and easy way to make this coconut tequila cocktail rim:
- Toast the shredded coconut in the oven or stovetop.To toast in the oven, allow time for the oven to preheat. Preheat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake the coconut on a baking sheet for approximately 4 to 5 minutes, or until golden and fragrant.
- Rim the outside lip of the glass with the cream of coconut.
- Dip the rim into the toasted coconut and twist to coat.
Should I Choose Cream of Coconut or Coconut Cream?
The type of coconut cream you use, as well as the tequila, are crucial to making the most delicious coconut tequila recipes. Buy cream of coconut, a sweetened syrup, rather than coconut cream, which is unsweetened and has a distinct coconut flavor.
Tips for Making a Delightful Coconut Margarita
Here are a few tips and tricks to making the Best Coconut Margarita recipe:
- Use Blanco or silver tequila: it is crisp and unaged, so it won’t overpower the Coconut Margarita.
- Fresh is always better: For the best creamy Coconut Margarita, use freshly squeezed lime juice. Resist the urge to reach for that lime-shaped squeeze bottle!
- A little orange liqueur goes a long way: It’s the only way to get that citrus taste to your coconut tequila cocktail recipe. You can use Cointreau or Grand Marnier.
- Use two kinds of coconut: The combination of unsweetened coconut cream and sweetened cream of coconut is a match made in heaven!
- Shake well: Shaking not only mixes the ingredients but also chills the drink, yielding a refreshing Coconut Margarita fit for any occasion.
Enjoy Your Coconut Margarita Cocktail with Altos
You’ve probably seen Olmeca Altos tequila on the bar carts of your liquor-loving friends –and there’s a reason it’s a fan favorite. In this Coconut Margarita drink, our Altos Plata premium tequila adds just the right amount of booze while imparting a blast of flavor with each sip.
The 100% agave tequila features delicate floral and fruit notes, and its clean taste makes it an excellent base for coconut tequila recipes.