Here’s how you should do it: In an airtight jar, combine the tequila and peppers. Allow at least 5 to 8 hours for the tequila to infuse (or more if you want it extra hot). In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for chilli salt and set aside. Use a lime wedge to rub the rim of a Margarita or cocktail glass, then rim with chilli salt. Combine chilli-infused tequila, lime juice, triple sec, and agave nectar in an ice-filled shaker. Shake vigorously for about 30 seconds. Fill rimmed glass halfway with ice and strain the Margarita. Garnish with a lime wedge and enjoy!
With its fiery kick, this Chilli Lime Margarita is positively addicting. It’s almost as though the warmth produced by the chilli-infused tequila helps the tequila’s tingle remain a bit longer, which is a very delightful sensation.
In this recipe, the piquancy of chilli enhances the earthiness of the tequila’s agave, offering a welcomed contrast to the citrusy sweetness of the orange liqueur. This results in a burst of flavor with each sip that is familiar and exciting, all at once.
Serve these Chilli Margaritas during Cinco de Mayo, a barbeque with friends, or whenever you need a dose of smoky heat.
Ingredients to Make the Chilli Margarita Recipe
Here are the ingredients you’ll need in this Chilli Margarita recipe:
- 1 ½ oz Blanco/silver tequila
- 1 oz Triple Sec (Cointreau or Grand Marnier)
- Juice from ½ lime plus lime wedges/wheels for the garnish
- ¾ oz agave (or sweetener of choice)
- 3 serrano and 2 Fresno chilli peppers, sliced in half lengthwise
- Chilli salt: 4 tsp salt, ½ tsp chilli powder, ¼ tsp cayenne powder and lime wedge
How to Make a Chilli Margarita
This Chilli Margarita cocktail is a breeze to craft. It will take you no more than five minutes.
Here’s how you should do it:
- In an airtight jar, combine the tequila and peppers. Allow at least 5 to 8 hours for the tequila to infuse (or more if you want it extra hot).
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for chilli salt and set aside. Use a lime wedge to rub the rim of a Margarita or cocktail glass, then rim with chilli salt.
- Combine chilli-infused tequila, lime juice, triple sec, and agave nectar in an ice-filled shaker.
- Shake vigorously for about 30 seconds.
- Fill rimmed glass halfway with ice and strain the Margarita.
- Garnish with a lime wedge and enjoy!
Infusing Your Tequila With Chilli Peppers
Infusing is a process which can take time, but it will definitely give your tequila the power you deserve.
To infuse your tequila with that beautiful fiery flavor:
- Combine tequila and peppers in an airtight container.
- Allow around 5-8 hours for the tequila to infuse, depending on how spicy you want it. The longer it takes to infuse, the hotter it gets.
- Once it is done, you are ready to play!
Bartender’s warning: This tequila is H-O-T! Don’t use it for taking shots.
Chilli peppers vary in heat, so add a bit at a time to find your preferred heat level.
Some Options to Rim Your Chilli Margarita Glass
Since we believe that no Margarita is complete without a salted rim, we’ve included two simple methods for making your own salt rim. It’s the ideal finishing touch that will not only enhance the appearance of your Margarita glass but will also add another layer of flavor to these spicy margaritas.
- Paprika salt: A simple 3:1 ratio of Kosher or any other flaky salt to paprika. Paprika is a powdered spice with a vibrant color from red peppers. It has a subtle earthiness with a sweet and peppery taste. One tbsp salt and one tsp paprika are enough to rim one or two glasses. And as the salt keeps well, you can even make it in a large batch and store it for future use.
- Cayenne and chilli: Cayenne has a hot, fiery taste, while the heat of the chilli can vary from mild to exploding hot. Stir together 4 tsp salt, ½ tsp chilli powder, ¼ tsp cayenne powder and lime wedge in a small bowl.
Other Versions of The Chilli Margarita
Do you love fruity margaritas? The combination of spicy pepper and sweet fruits is always a superb one.
Here are some exciting recipes to try:
Pineapple Chilli Margarita
The Pineapple Chilli Margarita is an excellent choice if you want a cocktail with a lot of character.
- 1 ½ ounce Blanco/silver tequila, 100% agave
- ¾ ounce triple sec (Cointreau or Grand Marnier)
- 2 ounces pineapple juice
- ¾ ounce fresh lime juice
- 1 dash hot sauce
- Salt and/or Tajin seasoning for the rim
- Pineapple wedges and lime wheels
- Rim your glasses, if desired, and fill them with ice
- Pour the tequila, triple sec, lime juice, pineapple juice and hot sauce in a shaker filled with ice
- Shake well until the outside is frosty
- Strain the Margarita into the ice-filled glass
- Garnish and enjoy!
Chilli Lime Mango Margarita
Incredibly sweet with a spicy kick, this is an excellent drink for all seasons and goes great with pretty much all Mexican food.
- 1/3 cup ripe mango, cubed
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 ounce silver tequila (or your preferred strength)
- A dash of hot sauce
- Agave or maple syrup
- Lime wedges for rimming and garnishing
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Add all the ingredients into a blender and process until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust the ingredients as desired.
- To make a Frozen Chilli Lime Mango Margarita, blend in a large handful of ice or use frozen mango.
- Pour the cocktail into the prepared glasses and fill with 1 large ice cube.
- Garnish and serve immediately.
Enjoy Your Chilli Margarita Cocktail With Altos
Whether you enjoy tequila shots or want to craft the best Chilli Margarita, Olmeca Altos is a smooth tequila perfect for drinking straight or for mixing into cocktails. Our Altos Plata tequila holds citrusy and floral notes, which are ideal in this spicy Chilli Margarita cocktail.