A delightful twist on the classic Margarita, the Hibiscus Margarita recipe mixes tequila, triple sec, lime juice and hibiscus syrup. The hibiscus syrup adds a gorgeous ruby red color and a floral, lemony, and tart flavor.
The good thing about this recipe is that you don’t need any special equipment. Simply shake all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker or any jar with a lid, and let the fiesta begin!
Plus, you don’t have to worry about the ingredients. After getting a top-quality tequila, good triple sec and fresh lime juice, all you need is some hibiscus syrup, which is equally easy to make. Boil a few spoons of dried hibiscus flowers in water, and you will have a thick mysterious syrup in no time.
We all love Margarita recipes for their simplicity. Mix everything up and enjoy your yummy creation. It doesn’t get any simpler.
To make this gorgeous hibiscus tequila drink, you will need:
- 50ml silver tequila
- Freshly squeezed juice from 1 large lime
- 30ml triple sec/orange liqueur
- 30ml hibiscus syrup (see recipe below)
- Salt for the rim (optional)
How Can You Make the Hibiscus Margarita?
The best thing about this Margarita recipe is that you don’t need any special equipment. Even if you don’t own a cocktail shaker, you can still use any jar with a lid in your kitchen.
These are the directions:
- Pour everything into a cocktail shaker (or any jar with a lid) with ice and shake well
- Serve, garnish with a slice of lime or hibiscus flower and enjoy!
Alternatively, you can add the hibiscus syrup after shaking the other ingredients so that it sinks to the bottom of the glass, forming a beautiful layer mix.
As you can see, making a tasty hibiscus tequila cocktail is not complicated at all. Once you’ve tried this recipe, you can also have a go to the following variations:
- Spicy hibiscus margarita: add chile piquin or tajin to the blend.
- Strawberry hibiscus margarita: add strawberry syrup.
- Hibiscus jalapeno margarita recipe: add sliced jalapenos when making the hibiscus syrup.
Do you want to try the smooth match between homemade hibiscus syrup and a premium tequila? Try our Altos Hibiscus Margarita cocktail and enjoy this delightful recipe now
How to Rim Your Margarita Glass
If you like your margaritas with a beautiful salt rim:
- Get a lime wedge (you can use leftover wedges from the juicing).
- Run it around the rim of the glass.
- Pour some salt into a small plate/bowl; if you can get your hands on smoked salt, the better. You can also add some powdered chili to elevate the salt’s flavor.
- Dip the rim in the salt and twist to coat.
- Shake off the excess.
5 Tips for Making Delicious Hibiscus Margaritas
If you follow these simple tips, you will have a delightful cocktail to spend a good time with your friends:
- Always shake with ice. Don’t just stir.
- Shake vigorously until the outside of the shaker feels cold.
- If the cocktail is too strong, dilute with a splash of sparkling water.
- Add some dried hibiscus flowers to the salt to make a beautiful hibiscus salt rim.
- To release the essential oils, squeeze a twist of the lime peel over the glass top and place it in the drink.
Make the Hibiscus Syrup
We have hibiscus to thank for the gorgeous ruby red color of the hibiscus margaritas. To make the syrup, you will need:
- 75ml of water
- 50g of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of dried hibiscus flowers
The steps you need to follow are quite simple and they won’t take you a long time:
- Bring the three ingredients to boil for about 3 minutes, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Strain the syrup and let it cool before using.
You can store the hibiscus syrup in the fridge for up to 2 weeks for easier Margarita making.
Don’t worry if you don’t feel like handling the flowers. You can still enjoy the pretty tequila drink. Bring to boil about four hibiscus tea bags and sweeten to taste with sugar, honey, or any sweetener of choice.
Our Version of the Hibiscus Margarita Cocktail
The quality of your margarita always boils down to the quality of the tequila you use. So, if you are looking for a premium drink, we have the perfect recipe for you: our Altos Hibiscus Margarita cocktail (LINK).
In 2019, our 100% agave tequila, Olmeca Altos Tequila Plata, was voted as the top choice tequila for margaritas worldwide at the International Poll of elite bartenders. With such remarkable recognition, you can understand why we have our very own hibiscus recipe.
The origin of the Altos Hibiscus Margarita drink dates back to the late 1990s. The special recipe was created by Nick Strangeway and Cairbry Hill for the London bar Che –a popular bar renowned for its wide selection of tequila in Europe. Since then, the recipe has won the hearts of many and garnered a massive following across the globe.
The recipe calls for only three ingredients: Altos Plata, lime juice, and hibiscus syrup, making it effortless for experts and beginners alike to create. Grab a bottle today and enjoy the smooth and flavorful taste of our Altos Hibiscus Margarita recipe.