Here’s all you need to do: Fill ¼ of a shaker with ice and add all the ingredients. Top with a second glass or lid. Shake vigorously for 30 seconds. Double strain to a tumbler filled with fresh ice. Garnish with a small (chilled) watermelon triangle and a basil leaf. Preparation time is around 45 minutes, but you will have your cocktail assembled in just 5.
Spicy, sweet, loaded with summer watermelon flavor, the Altos’ Spicy Watermelon Margarita is the perfect cocktail to sip on a hot day.
The beauty of this watermelon tequila cocktail lies in its simplicity. Five simple ingredients plus a few easy steps, and you have a delicious watermelon tequila drink to take off the heat on hot days.
Serve these spicy tequila and watermelon margaritas on their own, or enjoy them with your favorite tacos, chips and salsa.
The best part about this watermelon tequila recipe is that you’ll need only a handful of fresh ingredients.
Here’s what you’ll need to make the Altos cocktail watermelon tequila:
- 1 1⁄3 Parts (40ml) Altos Plata
- 2⁄3 Part (20ml) Ancho Reyes Verde
- 1⁄2 Part (15ml) Basil Syrup
- 1 1⁄2 Parts (45ml) Fresh Watermelon Juice
- 2⁄3 Part (20ml) Fresh Lime Juice
30ml = 1oz
Spicy Watermelon Cocktail Ingredients
- Altos Plata: 100% agave, voted as the best tequila for margaritas by bartenders worldwide. It’s unaged, mellowed out and got the purest flavors making it ideal for complementing the rest of the ingredients in this watermelon tequila cocktail.
- Ancho Reyes: These bring the spice to the party.
- Basil Syrup: Brings a sweet herbal flavoring to this refreshing watermelon tequila cocktail.
- Watermelon Juice: The main ingredient! We recommend fresh watermelon juice for this recipe, but store-bought also works as long as there is no added sugar.
- Lime Juice: Adds a nice tang to the sweet watermelon.
How to Make Our Spicy Watermelon Drink
Crafting this tequila and watermelon cocktail is as easy as 1-2-3. You’ll have a refreshing summer drink in just a few simple steps.
Here’s all you need to do:
- Fill ¼ of a shaker with ice and add all the ingredients. Top with a second glass or lid.
- Shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Double strain to a tumbler filled with fresh ice.
- Garnish with a small (chilled) watermelon triangle and a basil leaf.
Preparation time is around 45 minutes, but you will have your cocktail assembled in just 5.
Tips to Make The Best Tequila and Watermelon Recipe
Here are some tips that will bring your cocktail to heaven:
- Get a ripe and juicy watermelon: This means you should choose one with a good yellow spot. That’s usually an indication that it’s been sun-ripened.
- Plan ahead: A little planning is needed, so set aside some time for preparation. However, once you’ve prepared all of the ingredients, you’ll only need 5 minutes!
- Serve immediately: The longer it sits, the more it will separate. If it does separate, it’s not a big deal; simply mix it with a spoon.
- Salt rim: This is entirely optional and based on personal preference. To salt the rim, run a lime wedge around the edge of the glass and dip into a shallow layer of salt. You can also add some chili or Tajin if you like it extra spicy and colorful.
- Chill the glass: This cocktail tastes best when served with ice or in a chilled glass.
- Step it up with a chilled watermelon garnish: Chilled watermelon wedges serve as large ice cubes and keep the cocktail cold for longer. A chilled watermelon wedge also looks great as a garnish!
How Can I Make The Basil Simple Syrup?
The basil syrup gives this refreshing beverage a sweet herbal flavor. It’s also great in various cocktails, mocktails, lemonade, and frozen treats.
These are the ingredients you’ll need:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
Once you have them ready, proceed to:
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, sugar, and basil leaves.
- Bring to a boil, stirring until all the sugar dissolves.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and let the syrup steep for about half an hour.
- Strain the syrup into a sterilized glass jar and let cool.
- Store in the fridge for up to 1 month.
What is This Watermelon Tequila Drink Ideal For?
This Spicy Watermelon Cocktail is cool, refreshing, and spicy and instantly cools you down on hot summer days. Make a large batch, and you’ll be drinking it all day to keep cool in the heat.
Altos Spicy Watermelon Margarita would be ideal for a Cinco de Mayo celebration, a BBQ backyard party, a potluck, or any hot summer day.
Other Versions of This Spicy Tequila and Watermelon Drink
Here are other variations worth trying once you’ve mastered this basic recipe:
Frozen Spicy Watermelon Margarita
Frozen margaritas are good, but spicy frozen margaritas are even better. Instead of watermelon juice, this recipe calls for frozen watermelon chunks.
Place the ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth and slushy. Serve immediately in rimmed glasses, garnish and enjoy!
Skinny Spicy Watermelon Margarita
Naturally sweetened with watermelon juice and a touch of agave, this Skinny Spicy Watermelon Margarita is happiness served in a glass.
To make this skinny version, simply substitute the basil syrup with one teaspoon agave nectar and add jalapeno pepper for a hint of spice.
The Story Behind This Spicy Watermelon Cocktail Recipe
We have Simon Kistenfeger to thank for this recipe. Kistenfeger, an outstanding bartending competitor, has multiple first-place awards from elite showcases, demonstrating his skill and ambition.
His mantra, “Life is a journey, not a destination,” guides his traveling lifestyle, allowing him to immerse himself in different drink cultures worldwide.
Enjoy Your Spicy Watermelon Cocktail With Altos
Crafted from 100% blue Weber agave, Olmeca Altos Plata is a smooth tequila featuring bright and blended citrus, olive brine, and agave notes. Its well-rounded edges will play nicely with the fresh juices in your Spicy Watermelon Cocktail.