It’s quite easy to prepare this spicy tequila drink if you follow these simple directions: Start by rubbing the rim of a glass with a lime wedge and dip the rim in salt to coat. Add the jalapeno coins to a shaker and muddle gently. Combine with your tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice and agave nectar, plus ice and shake until chilled. Strain the mixture in the already prepared glass over fresh ice and garnish with a jalapeno coin.
What is a spicy margarita? It’s a delicious cocktail made with tequila, orange liqueur, and lime juice. The main difference between this cocktail and the classic margarita is that it has a little bit of heat from jalapenos, that’s why we call it Spicy Jalapeno Margarita. It’s perfect for parties because it’s easy to make and can be made with whatever ingredients you have on hand—just make sure to keep the ratio of ingredients the same to get the right balance of flavors. We recommend using our recipe as a guideline and adjusting to your own tastes after you’ve tried it once or twice.
Why drink this Spicy Margarita Recipe? Because this Spicy Margarita is delicious! And because it’s easy enough that anyone can make one themselves at home without having to go out for drinks (and then getting lost in their own kitchen). Plus, if you find yourself feeling like eating spicy foods after drinking this cocktail, then there are plenty of ways to add more spice into your life.
The classic Margarita is one of the US’s most popular cocktails. Despite the many theories around its origin, it has enchanted drinkers from its inception, making its way around the globe to become one of the most widely consumed beverages today.
One of the variations that have taken hold and never loosened its grip is the recipe for Spicy Margarita. It succeeds in areas where so many of its siblings have failed. This is because it refocuses the classic recipe without losing what makes it successful: the timeless combination of sweet, sour and earthy flavors.
Ingredients to Prepare the Spicy Margarita Recipe
The secret to making the best Spicy Jalapeno Margarita is using the right ingredients. They are:
- 2 ounces Tequila
- 1/2 ounce Orange liqueur
- 2 Jalapeno coins with the seeds removed
- 1 Lime wedges
- 1/2 ounce Agave syrup
- 1/2 ounce Lime juice
For garnishing, add:
- Salt rim
- Jalapeno coin
How to Make a Spicy Margarita Recipe
It’s quite easy to prepare this spicy tequila drink if you follow these simple directions:
- Start by rubbing the rim of a glass with a lime wedge and dip the rim in salt to coat.
- Add the jalapeno coins to a shaker and muddle gently. Combine with your tequila, orange liqueur, the juice and agave nectar, plus ice and shake until chilled.
- Strain the mixture in the already prepared glass over fresh ice and garnish with a jalapeno coin.
The real key to Margarita’s heat is fresh jalapenos that are muddled in the shaker right before adding other ingredients. With their seeds removed, two jalapeno coins will yield a mildly spicy cocktail. Add as many coins as you can handle for a more fiery margarita.
Tips to Prepare the Best Spicy Margarita Recipe
If you’re looking to spice up your margarita, we have a few tips to help you get started and make the best Spicy Margarita.
First, make sure you have plenty of jalapeños on hand. You can find them in the produce section at most grocery stores, and they’re easy to chop if you have a sharp knife. If you don’t have a cutting board around, just put them on a plate and use your hands to chop them up!
Next, peel off the outermost layer of skin from the jalapeño. This will help keep some of the heat from getting into the rest of your drink—and it’ll also give you something fun to snack on while you’re mixing.
Next comes slicing! Slice each jalapeño into about 8 pieces (or more or less depending on how spicy you want your drink).
Now it’s time for juicing! Use a juicer or hand blender to extract as much liquid from those peppers as possible—you want just enough juice that when mixed with tequila and lime juice, it makes 1 cup total liquid volume. If there’s extra pulp left over after juicing, throw those pieces into a food processor.
Garnish and enjoy our Spicy Margaritas.
Spicy Margarita Flavored Versions
This Margarita never disappoints as it has endless flavors to choose from. Below are some of the flavors you can try out at home to make your cocktail more interesting, try to prepare some of our Spicy Margaritas:
Spicy Watermelon Margarita
This spicy watermelon-infused cocktail makes the perfect drink to toast a hot summer day or BBQ backyard parties.
- To make a spicy watermelon cocktail, combine 4 ounces of watermelon juice, 1-ounce tequila, 1-ounce triple sec, 2 slices fresh jalapeno and ½ ounce lime juice in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake to chill.
- Serve in a glass rimmed with salt and garnished with lemon wheels and jalapeno slices.
Mango Margarita Spicy
This kind of Spicy Margaritas are the right amount of spicy, sweet, smokey and salty, making them perfect for days outside grilling.
- For this spicy mango cocktail, add a few slices of charred jalapeno and a few chunks of fresh mango in a cocktail shaker with ice and muddle well.
- Add in 4 ounces mango juice, 2 ounces tequila, 1-ounce lime juice, and shake to chill.
- Serve in a rimmed cocktail glass and garnish with a skewer of mango sprinkled with Tajin, charred jalapeno and a lemon wheel.
Spicy Pineapple Margarita
A little sweet, a touch of tang, and a bit of heat are the reason this cocktail is the perfect punch.
- To make this margarita, bring 12 ounces pineapple juice, 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, and jalapeno to boil in a small saucepan over medium-high.
- Simmer for three minutes over medium-low heat, strain solids from juice and discard the solids.
- Leave it to cool for about an hour in a refrigerator then stir in 6 ounces tequila and ¼ cup fresh lime juice.
- Pour into 4 rimmed glasses, garnish with jalapeno slices and pineapple wedges if desired.
Spicy Cucumber Margarita
This spicy cocktail is not your average Margarita. Instead, it’s a bit spicy, sweet, and a little fizzy too.
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle together 4-6 cucumber slices, 2 ounces tequila, 4 fresh mint leaves, ½ ounce orange liqueur, 2 ounces fresh lime juice, and 2 teaspoons honey.
- Muddle everything down till the cucumbers release their juice and are fully smashed.
- Add in 1-2 jalapeno slices and shake to infuse.
- Strain into your rimmed glass and toff off with ginger beer for more spicy sweetness and fizz, if desired.
Spicy Grapefruit Margarita
A spicy grapefruit cocktail will always remain a crowd-pleaser. This is one of our favorite Spicy Margaritas.
- To make this Margarita, add 2 ounces lime juice, 2 tablespoons of agave nectar and 2 or 3 jalapeno slices in a cocktail shaker and use a muddler to crush the jalapeno.
- Pour in 4 ounces grapefruit juice and 3 ounces tequila, top of the shaker with ice and shake to infuse.
- Strain the mixture into the rimmed cocktail glass and garnish with a small wedge of grapefruit.
Spicy Strawberry Margarita
Sweet and a little spicy, this makes the perfect refreshing cocktail after a long week.
- For this margarita, combine 1 cup ripe strawberries and ½ inch jalapeno in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Strain and pour the mixture in a cocktail shaker.
- Add in 2 ounces lime juice, 2 tablespoons agave nectar, 4 ounces tequila and ice, secure the lid and shake to mix and chill the margarita.
- Serve into two glasses over ice with a splash of sparkling water and enjoy!
Other Special variations of the Spicy Margaritas
There are countless flavors to use to spice up your margaritas and create an amazing Spicy Margarita Recipe. In addition to the ones discussed above, you can make a Spicy Blackberry Margarita, Spicy Mandarin Margarita, Spicy Avocado Coconut Margarita or Spicy Jalapeno Margarita and Guava Margarita. You can even opt for a low calories version of the classic cocktail, the Skinny Spicy Margarita recipe.
If you’re looking for a good Mexican flavor, then the Altos variation is just the right cocktail for you. With just a few ingredients and simple steps to follow, you’ll have this cocktail you’ve desired in no time. This spicy Altos Margarita recipe features 3 parts silver tequila, 2 parts lime juice, 1 part simple syrup, 1 teaspoon orange liqueur and 2 jalapeno coins with no seeds.
Olmeca Altos tequila remains the star of this show, infusing the cocktail with its herbal agave notes. Made with 100% agave, it goes without saying that Olmeca Altos makes the perfect Margarita.