There is a reason why Margarita is famous in the US. It balances all the right levels of sweet, tangy, salty and boozy —so good! To many people, this is the taste of summer, holidays and fun. And the best part? Recipes on how to Margarita are pretty simple, so the chances of going wrong are very minimal.
Multiple theories of the cocktail’s invention exist, and how or when the cocktail came to existence remains a mystery. One story, however, stands out. It tells of how the drink evolved from The Daisy —a classic cocktail famous at the time that called for tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice and a splash of soda. After all, Margarita translates ‘daisy’ in Spanish, which adds some credibility to the story.
How to drink a Margarita? Straight up, on the rocks or frozen, how you choose to enjoy the drink will depend on your preference and mood.
Margarita cocktail ingredients
The secret to this iconic drink lies in its simplicity. To make a Margarita, all you need is three simple ingredients:
- Orange liqueur
- Freshly-squeezed lime juice
Feel free to add:
- Coarse salt to garnish the rim of the glass for that extra punch.
- Lime wedge for garnish.
How to Margarita
The best tip on how to make Margaritas at home is to use the very best quality ingredients you can find:
- Tequila: The tequila is the alcohol in Margarita, and any brand will work just fine. But if you’re looking to make a Margarita that will leave your guests yearning for more, opt for medium to high-end silver or reposado tequila.
- Lime*: The secret to making a tasty margarita is using the best ingredients. So, you can understand why most Margarita recipes call for freshly squeezed lime juice.
*Remember to keep some extra limes on hand. These will come in handy either as a garnish or when making the classic rim.
- Orange liqueur*: What makes a Margarita so refreshing is the beautiful blend of sweet orange and bitter lime. An orange-flavored triple-sec like Cointreau, or Cognac such as Grand Marnier, infuses the drink with a sweetness that balances the lime juice beautifully.
*You can also choose to use agave syrup or any other simple syrup of your choice for your sweetener.
Traditional Margarita recipe: How do you make a Margarita?
The Margarita must be one of the easiest cocktails to make out there. But then, how do you make a Margarita?
If you’ve been looking for an easy Margarita recipe on how to make Margaritas at home, you’re in luck. This detailed recipe guide takes you step-by-step on how to make a classic Margarita.
Recipe for Margarita: How do I make a Margarita?
- Prepare your glasses (optional): If desired, salt the rim by running a lime wedge around the edge, taking a salt shaker, and twirling it around. This way, you will have just the right amount of salt on the outside.
- Combine the ingredients:
- Pour the tequila, lime juice and orange liqueur into a cocktail shaker filled with ice cubes.
- Shake vigorously for about 10-15 seconds until the exterior frosts.
- Give the mix a taste, and if you’d want it sweeter, feel free to add your preferred sweetener.
- Serve your perfect creation: Strain the mix into the prepared glasses with or without ice. Garnish with a lime wedge and enjoy!
A modern take on the classic Margarita cocktail, the Altos Margarita is a crisp blend of Olmeca Altos Plata, diced local citrus and local honey to taste. Learn more about this fascinating Altos Margarita recipe.
Discover other variations for traditional Margarita recipe
Are you looking for easy Margarita recipes to try for your next gathering? Well, you’ve got wonderful Margarita homemade cocktail possibilities.
Jasmine Tea Margarita
A fresh and floral twist on your classic Margarita, the Jasmin Tea Margarita will quickly become your favorite Margarita homemade cocktail. Plus, the recipe couldn’t be more straightforward! Combine the tequila, lime juice, sweetener of choice and prepared Jasmine green tea. Stir, serve over ice in a chilled glass and enjoy!
Spicy Watermelon Margarita
For this spicy, watermelon-infused cocktail, combine tequila, lime juice, sweetener of your choice, few jalapeno slices, ice cubes and watermelon into a cocktail shaker. Serve chilled in a pitcher or a hollowed-out watermelon over ice garnished with lemon wheels and jalapeno slices. The Spicy Watermelon Margarita is the perfect drink for BBQ backyard parties or any hot summer afternoon.
Mango Cilantro Habanero Margarita
Spicy, sweet, fruity and tart, the Mango Cilantro Habanero Margarita packs a punch. Just in case you’re unfamiliar with habaneros. They are superb! Just like jalapenos, they are a favorite among people who enjoy spicy food.
To make this delicious cocktail, combine tequila, mango habanero syrup, fresh lime juice, triple sec and cilantro simple syrup in a shaker or blender until smooth. Pour into the prepared glasses and enjoy!
The alcohol in Margarita
The type of tequila you use can make or break your cocktail. So, ensure that you are using the best bottle you can find. A high-quality tequila will have 100% de agave or puro de agave on the bottle’s label.
Olmeca Altos is a high-quality and super affordable tequila, which a growing number of bartenders swear by. Having won at the most prestigious contests worldwide, it’s no surprise that it ranks as the best tequila for Margaritas. In case you were wondering, yes! It’s made from 100% blue agave.