Prepare your glasses (optional): If desired, salt the rim by running a lime wedge around the edge, taking a salt shaker, and twirling it around. This way, you will have just the right amount of salt on the outside. Combine the ingredients: Pour the tequila, lime juice and orange liqueur into a cocktail shaker filled with ice cubes. Shake vigorously for about 10-15 seconds until the exterior frosts. Give the mix a taste, and if you’d want it sweeter, feel free to add your preferred sweetener. Serve your perfect creation: Strain the mix into the prepared glasses with or without ice. Garnish with a lime wedge and enjoy!
There is a reason why Margarita is famous in the US. It balances all the right levels of sweet, tangy, salty and boozy-so good! To many people, this is the taste of summer, holidays and fun. And the best part? Recipes on how to Margarita are pretty simple, so the chances of going wrong are very minimal.
Multiple theories of the cocktail’s invention exist, and how or when the cocktail came to existence remains a mystery. One story, however, stands out. It tells of how the drink evolved from The Daisy, a classic cocktail famous at the time that called for tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice and a splash of soda. After all, Margarita translates ‘daisy’ in Spanish, which adds some credibility to the story.
How to drink a Margarita? Straight up, on the rocks or frozen, how you choose to enjoy the drink will depend on your preference and mood.
The secret to this iconic drink lies in its simplicity. To make a Margarita, all you need is three simple ingredients:
- 2 ounces Tequila
- 1 ounce Orange liqueur
- 1 ounce Freshly-squeezed lime juice
Feel free to add:
- Coarse salt to garnish the rim of the glass for that extra punch
- Lime wedge for garnish
What Do You Need to Make a Margarita?
The best tip on how to make Margaritas at home is to use the very best quality ingredients you can find:
- Tequila: The tequila is the alcohol in Margarita, and any brand will work just fine. But if you’re looking to make a Margarita that will leave your guests yearning for more, opt for medium to high-end silver or reposado tequila.
- Lime: The secret to making a tasty margarita is using the best ingredients. So, you can understand why most Margarita recipes call for freshly squeezed lime juice. Remember to keep some extra limes on hand. These will come in handy either as a garnish or when making the classic rim.
- Orange liqueur: What makes a Margarita so refreshing is the beautiful blend of sweet orange and bitter lime. An orange-flavored triple-sec like Cointreau, or Cognac such as Grand Marnier, infuses the drink with a sweetness that balances the lime juice beautifully.
Tip: You can also choose to use agave syrup or any other simple syrup of your choice for your sweetener.
How to Make the Classic Margarita?
The Margarita must be one of the easiest cocktails to make out there. But then, how do you make a Margarita?
If you’ve been looking for an easy Margarita recipe on how to make Margaritas at home, you’re in luck. This detailed recipe guide takes you step-by-step on how to make a classic Margarita:
- Prepare your glasses (optional): If desired, salt the rim by running a lime wedge around the edge, taking a salt shaker, and twirling it around. This way, you will have just the right amount of salt on the outside.
- Combine the ingredients: Pour the tequila, lime juice and orange liqueur into a cocktail shaker filled with ice cubes. Shake vigorously for about 10-15 seconds until the exterior frosts. Give the mix a taste, and if you’d want it sweeter, feel free to add your preferred sweetener.
- Serve your perfect creation: Strain the mix into the prepared glasses with or without ice. Garnish with a lime wedge and enjoy!
The Altos Margarita, Our Own Recipe
As you might already know, every great Margarita starts with good-quality tequila. Most bartenders and tequila enthusiasts recommend using tequila made from 100% agave as it will guarantee you a better cocktail with a more complex flavor and significantly less burn. And that’s exactly what we have done!
It’s quite easy to enjoy our own cocktail version of the famous Margarita. With only 3 ingredients, you will have a refreshing cocktail full of contrasts:
- 2 Parts Tequila Altos Plata
- A handful of lemon and lime (diced)
- 2-3 spoons of local honey to taste
Pour the Tequila, citrus and honey, then shake vigorously with ice to blend and chill the drink. Serve on the rocks, garnish and indulge! The garnish is the chopped/juiced lemon and lime you used for the shake. Pretty easy, right?
*Shaking is crucial as it introduces tiny air bubbles that give a Margarita its signature cloudy and frothy appearance.
Easy Video of the Altos Margarita Recipe
History of Margarita
As with most popular drinks, Margarita’s origins are murky. Some tell of how the cocktail evolved from a classic tequila cocktail named daisy, while others link its true origins to Mexican restaurant owner Carlos (Danny) Herrera.
Regardless of what theory you find believable or credible, one thing is for sure; margaritas are superb, especially when made with good tequila.
A High-Quality Tequila for your Margarita
The type of tequila you use can make or break your cocktail. So, ensure that you are using the best bottle you can find. A high-quality tequila will have 100% de agave or puro de agave on the bottle’s label.
Olmeca Altos is a premium-quality and super affordable tequila, which a growing number of bartenders swear by. Having won at the most prestigious contests worldwide, it’s no surprise that it ranks as the best tequila for Margaritas. In case you were wondering, yes! It’s made from 100% Blue Agave.