Ginger is a spice that seems to add life to just about everything, including the Margarita. It adds an extra fusion of goodness to the already sweet and citrusy blend, resulting in a mellow drink perfect for warming up on cooler days.
Our Altos Ginger Tommy’s Margarita is a spicy twist on the classic Tommy recipe. If you’re unfamiliar with the cocktail, it is one devoid of orange liqueur –like a Skinny Margarita. Rather than using the calorie-laden triple Sec, Tommy’s version uses a sweetener made from the same agave as tequila.
This switch might sound simple, but the results are incredible. The naturally sweet syrup balances the tangy of the lime, leaving the tequila to shine.
Ingredients to Prepare Our Altos Ginger Margarita
This one is a simple cocktail that converts tequila into the star of the show. Here’s what you’ll need to make this crisp ginger tequila drink:
- 50ml Altos Plata
- 25ml Lemon juice (fresh is always best)
- 15ml Ginger syrup*
- 10ml Agave syrup
How to Make the Ginger Tommy’s
Refreshing but spiced, this easy-to-make recipe will bring you a glass of Ginger Tommy’s ready to warm you up!
- Pour the ingredients in a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake vigorously for about 30 seconds and strain.
- Serve with crushed ice in a julep cup or clay jarrito.
- Garnish with a lemon wedge and enjoy.
Our Altos Ginger Margarita recipe uses Altos Plata –a young and fiery tequila made from 100% blue weber agave grown in the rich highlands of Jalisco, Mexico.
An Easy Recipe for the Ginger Syrup
One of the basic ingredients of this recipe is ginger syrup. It literally gives the name to the cocktail, so we can’t forget it! But don’t worry, it’s very easy and will only take you a few minutes to be done.
Here’s how you should make it:
- 2/3 cup peeled and sliced ginger
- 3/4 cup sugar or honey
- 3/4 cup water
- Combine the sweetener with the water in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to boil and reduce the heat.
- Add the ginger and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Strain the ginger pieces and store the syrup in an airtight container.
Tip: You can also mix fresh ginger juice with superfine sugar in a ratio of 2:1 to make the spicy syrup.
Other Ginger-based Margaritas
Once you’ve mastered this basic recipe, here are four simple recipes worth giving a try:
Ginger Beer Margarita
Tequila and ginger beer pair beautifully. It is a perfectly balanced pairing best for when you’re yearning for something different.
- 3 Tablespoons 100% Agave Tequila (such as Olmeca Altos Plata)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 6 Tablespoons ginger beer
- 1 tablespoon simple syrup or sweetener of choice
- Salt for the rim
- Add tequila, lime juice, ginger beer and simple syrup into a large glass or cocktail shaker and stir vigorously.
- Serve into salt-rimmed glasses with a few ice cubes, garnish with a lime wedge and serve immediately.
Spicy Ginger Margarita
If you like things on the spicier side, you can add some jalapeños to this ginger Margarita recipe.
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) Blanco tequila
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Lime wedges
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeño chile, plus slices for garnish
- 3 slices fresh ginger
- 1½ tablespoons (3/4 ounce) orange liqueur
- 2 tablespoons simple syrup or sweetener of choice
- 2 tablespoons sea salt and 1 tablespoon lime zest for the rim
- Crush together the sea salt and lime zest in a small bowl or plate. Run a lime wedge around the rim of the glass and dip in the mix to coat.
- Muddle the jalapeno and ginger into a cocktail shaker to release the flavors.
- Add the tequila, lime juice, orange liqueur, simple syrup and fill with ice.
- Shake vigorously and strain into the prepared glass.
- Garnish with lime wedges and jalapeno slices, if desired.
Ginger Mint Margarita
Incredibly refreshing and delicious, this is a perfect cocktail for the warmer days.
- 8 mint leaves
- 3 ounces 100% agave silver tequila (such as Olmeca Altos Plata)
- 2 tablespoons honey-ginger simple syrup*
- Freshly squeezed lime juice (1 lime) plus additional to taste
- Salt for the rim
For the honey-ginger simple syrup*, you will need:
- Combine 1 cup honey and 1 cup water in a saucepan and bring the mix to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and add fresh ginger cut into small rounds.
- Simmer for about 20 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Strain out the ginger and let the syrup cool.
And to make the margaritas:
- Muddle the mint to release the flavors.
- Add the tequila, simple syrup and lime juice.
- Add ice and shake well.
- Strain into salt-rimmed glasses, garnish and enjoy.
Ginger Berry Margarita
This fruity ginger beer margarita is delicious, spicy and so gorgeous!
- 2 parts Altos Reposado
- 1⁄2 part simple syrup
- 6-8 blueberries
- Ginger beer
- Lime slices (optional)
- Muddle blueberries in a cocktail shaker.
- Add tequila and simple syrup.
- Shake with ice until well mixed.
- Strain into salt-rimmed glasses.
- Add lime slices (optional).
- Top with a splash of ginger beer.
When is the Best Time of the Year to Prepare a Ginger Margarita?
If you’ve been looking for the perfect cocktail to warm you up during winter or spice things up in the fall, you just found your go-to margarita. Ginger Tommy’s Margarita is refreshing, citrusy and spicy —what we need in a fall cocktail.
The secret to making a great Margarita is using top-quality tequila. Altos Plata has consistently won at the world’s most prestigious spirits competitions, including the San Francisco Spirits Competition and the Concours Mondial de Bruxelles.
It is also a very loved tequila for Margaritas, as it’s the choice of many world’s best bartenders when making this cocktail. Step your Margarita skills with our Olmeca Altos 100% agave tequila!