Rim the glasses: On a separate dish, place a small amount of extra coconut cream and dip the rim of the glass into it. Then dip the rim into the plate of toasted coconut. Shake the ingredients: In a cocktail shaker with ice, combine the tequila, triple sec, lime juice, and cream of coconut. Shake well for around 30 seconds to thoroughly mix and chill the cocktail. Having a party? Make the best Coconut Margarita pitcher: In a large pitcher, combine 2 cups tequila, ½ cup triple sec, ½ cup lime juice, and 1 cup lime juice and 1 cup cream of coconut. Stir the drink until creamy and serve this Coconut Margarita on the rocks.
Have you been looking for a special cocktail? The kind that will transport you to a tropical island where you can bask in the warmth of the sunset while taking in the wonders of nature. Well, look no further than the Coconut Margarita. It tastes like a combination between a Margarita and a Pina Colada!
This easy Coconut Margarita recipe is exactly what you’ve been missing. It’s zingy and creamy, a delicious combination of lime, tequila and coconut cream. You will also love the lovely toasted coconut rim that infuses each sip with a crisp, tropical flavor.
Serve this coconut tequila cocktail at happy hour, dinner party drinks, cocktail hour, Cinco de Mayo, or whenever you want to unwind.
Ingredients to Prepare the Coconut Tequila Margarita
Making this Coconut Margarita is quite easy, and very similar to the classic version of this iconic cocktail.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it, all Coconut Margarita Ingredients:
- 2 ounces Tequila Blanco
- ½ ounce fresh lime juice
- ½ ounce triple sec
- 1 ounce cream of coconut (not coconut cream)
- Sweetened shredded coconut for the rim
- Ice for serving
How to Make a Coconut Margarita
This easy Coconut Margarita is creamy, smooth and simple to craft. Follow these step-by-step directions so you can learn how to make a Coconut Margarita on the rocks in about 5 minutes:
- Pour the tequila, triple sec, lime juice, and cream of coconut in a cocktail shaker and add one handful of ice
- Shake vigorously for about 30 seconds or until the outside is nice and frosty
- Strain into a glass with the coconut rim (recipe included below) and fill with ice
Learn to Rim Your Coconut Margarita Glass
The best part about this Coconut Margarita drink is the opportunity to create your own unique toasted coconut rim. This rim isn’t just for show; it also adds a textural element and an explosion of flavor to each sip.
To create a toasted coconut rim:
- Toast the coconut: Toasting coconut turns it a gorgeous golden brown, enhances its nutty flavor and adds a delightful crunch. You may toast the coconut either on the stovetop or in the oven.
- The basic oven procedure: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake the coconut on a baking sheet for 4 to 5 minutes, or until golden and fragrant.
- Use the cream of coconut to stick the coconut to the rim: It holds amazingly!
- Dip the rim in cream of coconut, then in the plate of toasted coconut: Carefully twist the glass to ensure that you only coat the outside. Although it takes time, the flavor is worth it!
What´s The Diference Between Cream Of Coconut and Coconut Cream?
Cream of coconut is a sweetened syrup made for cocktails. It’s made with coconut cream and sugar. You will find it in squeeze bottles that make it simple to add to drinks.
On the other hand, coconut cream is unsweetened. It’s thick, has a distinct coconut flavor and is packaged in the same cans as coconut milk. Coconut cream is created by freezing coconut milk and then skimming off the cream layer that rises to the surface.
We recommend buying cream of coconut rather than coconut cream for this coconut tequila cocktail recipe. As a general rule, choose the squeeze bottle over the can.
Tips For Making a delicious Coconut Margarita
The Coconut Margarita is so delicious that you’ll want to make it again and over again.
To make the best Coconut Margarita recipe:
- Use 100% Blanco/Silver tequila: Blanco tequila is mild, making it an ideal pairing that will not overpower the coconut.
- Coconut fusion: To make the ultimate combo, combine unsweetened coconut cream and sweetened cream of coconut! Alternatively, if you don’t have any cream of coconut on hand, you can use equal parts unsweetened coconut cream and simple syrup.
- Fresh is always better: When creating a Margarita, the fresher the ingredients, the better the result. That said, only use freshly squeezed lime juice for the best Coconut Margarita.
- Add a dash of orange liqueur: A splash of orange liqueur makes all margaritas better! It’s how you get that deep citrus flavor. If you can’t find Cointreau you can use Grand Marnier instead.
- Shake well: Shaking a Margarita is necessary to thoroughly combine the ingredients, chill the cocktail, and somewhat dilute it.
Enjoy Your Coconut Margarita Cocktail With Altos
Altos Plata Tequila is one of the world’s most iconic and adored tequilas by many bartenders, highlighting the agave’s earthy and herbal flavors. Because it’s created entirely of agave, Olmeca Altos tequila is crisp and smooth, resulting in a delectable Coconut Margarita with incredible notes.